- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Fair Grounds Race Course and Slots
Fair Grounds Race Course and Slots Review
The third-oldest racetrack in the country sits just off Esplanade Avenue, among the houses of Bayou St. John. The newly renovated facility is modern and comfortable throughout, complete with clubhouse restaurant, grandstand café, and concession-snack bars. A slots facility was added in 2008, and the popular Starlight Racing series, held Friday nights, features live music, DJs, food trucks, a beer garden, and jockey-costumed go-go dancers. The grounds are also home to the annual. For the clubhouse, be sure and make reservations and be aware that proper attire is required (collared shirts, closed shoes, no shorts).
- Address: 1751 Gentilly Blvd., Bayou St. John, New Orleans, LA 70119 | Map It
- Phone: 504/943–2200 for box and restaurant reservations; 504/944–5515 for general information
- Cost: Grandstand free, clubhouse $10
- Hours: Thanksgiving–Mar., check website for days and times
- Website: www.fairgroundsracecourse.com
- Location: Mid-City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary in NOLA the first week in February, first time there for both of us.
I've been having fun reading trip reports and while we don't usually make an exac Read more
· News & Features
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles, ... Read more
New Orleans brought a whole new meaning to "cocktail party" when it transformed into a raucous drinking... Read more
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familia... Read more