- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Though some people believe Antoine's heyday passed before the turn of the 20th century, others wouldn't leave New Orleans without at least one order of the original oysters Rockefeller—baked oysters topped with a parsley-based sauce and bread crumbs. Other notables on the bilingual menu include pommes de terre soufflées (fried potato puffs), pompano en papillote (baked in parchment paper), and baked Alaska. Tourists are generally shown to the front room, but walking through the grand labyrinth is a must. Be prepared for lackluster service. A jacket is preferred, but casually dressed diners can order most of the classic menu at the adjoining Hermes Bar.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- New Orleans Hotel by French Quarter w/Wi-Fi, 60% Off Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
- $149 & up -- 4-Star Royal Sonesta near French Qtr, 45% Off Expedia
- $78 -- 4-Star New Orleans Hotel near French Quarter — $78 Hotwire.com
My wife and I are from the UK and we flew from Manchester to Austin, Texas to begin our 14 day road trip. Read more
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
My husband and I are taking a trip to NO for our 2nd wedding anniversary from August 6-10. Read more
· News & Features
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familia... Read more
The New Orleans Jazz Festival is a force to be reckoned with—a fact we learned firsthand attending... Read more
Whether you're a cocktail aficionado or a mixology amateur, you'll learn a ton about your favorite drinks... Read more