- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Orleans 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Lafayette Cemetery No. 1
Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 Review
Built in 1833, Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 remains a testament to the city's history. The cemetery was built when the area was seeing a large influx of Italian, German, Irish, and American immigrants from the North. Many who fought or played a role in the Civil War have plots here, indicated by plaques and headstones that detail the site of their death. Several tombs also reflect the toll the yellow fever epidemic took on the city during the 19th century, which affected mostly children and newcomers to New Orleans; 2,000 yellow fever victims were buried here in 1852. Movies such as Interview with the Vampire and Double Jeopardy have used this walled cemetery for its eerie beauty. Open to the public daily, the magnolia tree–lined cemetery is a short walk from the streetcar and a beautiful spot to learn about New Orleans's history. Save Our Cemeteries, a nonprofit, offers hourlong, volunteer-led tours at 10:30 Monday through Saturday. All proceeds benefit the organization's cemetery restoration and advocacy efforts.
- Address: 1400 block of Washington Ave., Garden District, New Orleans, LA 70130
- Hours: Weekdays 7:30–3, weekends 9–6
- Location: Garden District
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Back from our first time to NOLA and despite cold weather, had a great time. Read more
This year we decided to visit New Orleans. Read more
Flying into Savannah for 4 days, staying at the Gastonian BnB, then to Hilton Head for 4 days.... we are renting a car upon arrival at Savannah........ and driving (three nights to get there) to New Orleans Read more
· News & Features
Celebrate Mardi Gras like a New Orleans local this year. ... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
New Orleans brought a whole new meaning to "cocktail party" when it transformed into a raucous drinking... Read more