- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The Garden District is easily accessible by car, streetcar, and city bus, or on foot from the CBD or Uptown. It's easy and free to park your car on any side street, but you have to pay to park along busier stretches of Magazine Street and Prytania Street.
The streetcar runs every 20 or 30 minutes (more frequently during rush hour), 24 hours a day, and makes several stops along St. Charles Avenue. You may have to wait longer than 30 minutes for the trolley to arrive at night, but it's generally a safe, if leisurely, mode of transportation. It takes about 20 minutes on the streetcar to get to Jackson Avenue in the Lower Garden District from Canal Street. The No. 11 bus runs up Magazine Street, making stops at all major intersections every 20 minutes. The ride from Canal Street to Jackson Avenue takes about 10 minutes depending on traffic.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe