New Orleans Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Enjoying New Orleans Music with Your Kids
Bourbon Street's entertainment options are largely off-limits to children, but younger music fans need not feel excluded. Dozens of options exist outside of barrooms and traditional clubs, and several of the most prestigious clubs offer all-ages shows.
Preservation Hall and Palm Court Jazz Café, both legendary jazz venues, welcome underage patrons. Tipitina's and Howlin' Wolf occasionally host all-ages shows as well. Around Jackson Square, talented street musicians perform most days of the week, and the French Market hosts a regular series of concerts as well as a separate busking stage for local and visiting performers to play for tips. The Louisiana Music Factory (210 Decatur St. 504/586–1094 www.louisianamusicfactory.com), an excellent New Orleans music and record store, regularly hosts in-store performances. And kids are always welcome at the free shows staged by the National Park Service's New Orleans Jazz Historical Park, both at the park's visitor center (419 Decatur St. 504/589–4841 www.nps.gov/jazz) and the Tuesday–Saturday afternoon shows at 916 North Peters Street, in the French Market.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe