- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The Marigny and Tremé border the French Quarter to the east and north, and are within easy walking distance. The bus and streetcar will also land you in or around these neighborhoods. Renting bicycles in the French Quarter and the Marigny is a great way to see the area. Bicycle Michael's (504/945–9505 www.bicyclemichaels.com) has rentals starting at $25 for a half day; Bob at Big Easy Bike Tours (504/377–0973 www.bigeasybiketours.com) gives popular guided tours, starting at $49 for a three-hour excursion.
Bywater is a little farther out, past the Marigny to the east. It makes most sense to drive or take the bus or a cab. The No. 5 Marigny/Bywater bus runs along the south edge (riverside) of the French Quarter, out to the far edge of Bywater. The No. 88 St. Claude/Jackson Barracks bus runs along the north edge (lakeside) of the French Quarter all the way into the Lower Ninth Ward. The ride from the French Quarter takes about 15 minutes.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe