- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons To Go
Explore Frenchmen Street. This bustling strip of bars, clubs, restaurants, cafés, and shops is the heart of the Marigny. At night, this is the place to hear live music and watch eccentric street artists.
Experience the birthplace of jazz. Tremé is fertile ground for New Orleans musical traditions. Visit the site of Congo Square, where jazz was born (now in Louis Armstrong Park), or drop by the Backstreet Cultural Museum.
Discover the Bywater arts scene. This neighborhood is an enclave of artists, musicians, and creative outliers, and you'll see it in everything from the decorated cars and funky boutiques to the intricate street art that adorns the sides of warehouses and buildings.
Enjoy the Marigny architecture. In 1974 the entire Marigny neighborhood was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and 25 years later was awarded the distinguished "Great Places in America" designation by the American Planning Association.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99-$139 -- NOLA French Quarter Hotel w/Drinks, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $79 & up -- New Orleans French Quarter Hotel w/Breakfast BookIt.com
- $169 & up -- 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, Save 45% — $169 Expedia
- $78 -- 4-Star New Orleans Hotel near French Quarter — $78 Hotwire.com