Chestnut Mountain Resort
At a Glance
- Multiple recreational activities
- indoor pool
- Rooms are slightly outdated
- a little far from downtown Galena
Check Rates from our Partners
Chestnut Mountain Resort Review
Set amid the rolling hills about 8 miles outside of downtown Galena, Chestnut Mountain makes a top choice for families with its year-round recreational activities and indoor pool. While your east- and west-coast friends may ridicule Midwest skiing, you can thumb your noses as you woosh down the resort's 19 downhill and snowboarding runs. During summer months, guests take advantage of cruises along the adjacent Mississippi River—be sure to request a room with a river view—along with the property's own mini golf and disc golf courses, and 5 miles of trails for hiking and biking. No need to bring your own two-wheeler, just rent one for the day from the hotel.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters
When: Two days in February 2014
Why: After being housebound by what seemed to be a never-ending winter (enough already!), it was time to bundle Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
We've never been to Chicago other than changing planes.
We'd like to go for a few days but that's a lot of flying to spend 3-4 days in one place.
Any add-ons in the area?
Thanks. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more