Indianapolis Zoo Review
Forget cages. The Indianapolis Zoo is all about biomes, providing its 3,000 animals living habitats that simulate the real thing. Here, you'll find temperate and tropical forests with red pandas, white-handed gibbons, otters, Alaskan brown bears, and American bald eagles. In the desert biome, look out for the rare Jamaican iguana, the meerkats and the endangered Grand Cayman blue iguana. Across the plains you'll see kudu, zebra, ostriches, lions and baboons. The brand-new Flights of Fancy exhibit gives winged beauties the spotlight, showcasing hundreds of exotic and local birds. A zoo favorite is the Marine Mammals exhibit, which boasts the world's only underwater dolphin viewing dome. This, plus the zoo's meticulous landscaping of its White River Gardens won the zoo the country's first triple accreditation as zoological park, aquarium and botanical garden.
- Address: 1200 W. Washington St., White River State Park Indianapolis, 46222
- Phone: 317/630-2001
- Cost: April-Oct. 31 $16.50, ages 2-12 $11.50, seniors 62 and up $15.50; winter season $9.50; $7.50; $8.50
- Hours: Mon.-Thu. 9-4; Fri.-Sun. 9-5. Closed Mon. and Tues. in Jan., Feb., Nov. and Dec.
- Website: www.indianapoliszoo.com
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters
When: Two days in February 2014
Why: After being housebound by what seemed to be a never-ending winter (enough already!), it was time to bundle Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
I've been to Chicago many times, but have never ventured out of town on the Ell. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more