Indianapolis Zoo Review
Forget cages. The Indianapolis Zoo is all about biomes, providing its 3,000 animals living habitats that simulate the real thing. Here, you'll find temperate and tropical forests with red pandas, white-handed gibbons, otters, Alaskan brown bears, and American bald eagles. In the desert biome, look out for the rare Jamaican iguana, the meerkats and the endangered Grand Cayman blue iguana. Across the plains you'll see kudu, zebra, ostriches, lions and baboons. The brand-new Flights of Fancy exhibit gives winged beauties the spotlight, showcasing hundreds of exotic and local birds. A zoo favorite is the Marine Mammals exhibit, which boasts the world's only underwater dolphin viewing dome. This, plus the zoo's meticulous landscaping of its White River Gardens won the zoo the country's first triple accreditation as zoological park, aquarium and botanical garden.
- Address: 1200 W. Washington St., White River State Park Indianapolis, 46222
- Phone: 317/630-2001
- Cost: April-Oct. 31 $16.50, ages 2-12 $11.50, seniors 62 and up $15.50; winter season $9.50; $7.50; $8.50
- Hours: Mon.-Thu. 9-4; Fri.-Sun. 9-5. Closed Mon. and Tues. in Jan., Feb., Nov. and Dec.
- Website: www.indianapoliszoo.com
- Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've done a very brief summary of my time in Washingto Read more
Romantic and fun 40th birthday trip to Chicago with my husband! Read more
We will be visiting Chicago for 4 nights at the end of June/early July. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more