Perry Street Brasserie
Perry Street Brasserie Review
Chef-owner Steve Dowe explains that the name of his restaurant is a play on words and relates to the monumental brasses that hang majestically on the walls of this romantic spot about a block from the Galena River. Making brass rubbings—and teaching others the craft—has been a longtime hobby of the native English man and his wife Renee. Another side love? Making his own organic spice mixes. Dowe has used the blends in his recipes for nearly 45 years and is now bottling six varieties under the name AcroAma Inc. But you'll be happy you left the cooking to chef Dowe when you taste his spot-on petite beef tenderloin, paired with quail; or grilled lamb with homemade lamb sausage; or his sautéed Gulf shrimp with olives in a Provencale sauce. Top it all off with the signature chocolate cup dessert: a bowl of solid Swiss chocolate filled with creamy dark and milk chocolate ganaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 65% Off The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% — $127 The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40% — $199 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
Thanks to all that provided suggestions for our weekend trip to Chicago!
DH and I went to Chicago because DS' high school band was performing at the Windy City Band Festival at Dominican University and Read more
Hi. Read more
After considering various views from Fodorers n elsewhere we decided on a road trip (bit crazy) for the memorial day weekend. Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more