Oval Beach Review
Remember to pack your sunscreen because this wide shoreline is a pride and joy of Saugatuck. This popular beach, bounded by tall grasses and sand dunes and features "singing sand," described for the squeaky sound it makes when you walk on it. Spike an umbrella, snag a patch of sand and spend the day lounging.Hike up the 282 steps to Mount Baldhead, affectionately known as "Baldy" (benches break up the climb). Swing sets, concessions, restrooms and barbecue grills make it a day; stay to watch the sunset over Lake Michigan.
- Address: 690 Perryman St., Saugatuck, 49453
- Phone: 269/857-2603
- Cost: Parking Memorial Day-Labor Day $6
- Hours: Memorial Day-Labor Day 9-10
- Location: Saugatuck, Michigan
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters
When: Two days in February 2014
Why: After being housebound by what seemed to be a never-ending winter (enough already!), it was time to bundle Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
We've never been to Chicago other than changing planes.
We'd like to go for a few days but that's a lot of flying to spend 3-4 days in one place.
Any add-ons in the area?
Thanks. Read more
· News & Features
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more