Braise Chef-owner Dave Swanson learned the ropes at acclaimed restaurants including Milwaukee's renowned Sanford. In 2012, he transferred his skills to the burgeoning Walker's Point neighborhood and repurposed a rundown building. He used its old bowling lanes as communal tables, paneled one wall with old barn siding and brought Milwaukee a farm-to-table hit. The menu changes depending on the ingredients he receives from the 400-some Wisconsin farmers he works with. Past favorites have included crispy pork belly served with creamy polenta goat cheese and sorghum syrup. For a special treat, book a spot at the last-Sunday-of-the-month suppers, featuring a local farmer's fare in three courses, served family style.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters
When: Two days in February 2014
Why: After being housebound by what seemed to be a never-ending winter (enough already!), it was time to bundle Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
We've never been to Chicago other than changing planes.
We'd like to go for a few days but that's a lot of flying to spend 3-4 days in one place.
Any add-ons in the area?
Thanks. Read more