On his runs and bike rides along the Monon Trail, Indianapolis native David Vonnegut-Gabovitch used to pass the vacant, dilapidated century-old Broad Ripple railway station. He thought an ice cream shop would fit perfectly there. So in 2010, he and his partners opened the adorable BRICs (Broad Ripple Ice Cream), and they've been scooping up sweet goodness ever since. Go for traditional vanilla, chocolate or strawberry; or go crazy with blends like yellow cake batter, Broad Ripple blackberry, and chocolate malt supreme. Some of the 35-plus flavors are brought in from South Haven, Michigan, favorite, Sherman's. During the winter, get a mug of made-to-order hot cocoa and snuggle by the fireplace.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 65% Off The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% — $127 The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40% — $199 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
Thanks to all that provided suggestions for our weekend trip to Chicago!
DH and I went to Chicago because DS' high school band was performing at the Windy City Band Festival at Dominican University and Read more
Hi. Read more
I have a question on how the customs works at O'Hare. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more