Ulysses S. Grant Home
Ulysses S. Grant Home Review
Honoring his service in the Civil War, a group of Galena Republicans presented this 1860 Italianate bracketed home to Ulysses S. Grant in 1865. He lived here with his family until in 1868, taking his seat in the White House as the 18th President. Much of the furnishings are original to the home, which is now a National Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Address: 500 Bouthillier St., Galena, 61036
- Phone: 815/777-3310
- Cost: Suggested donation $4; children $2
- Hours: April-Oct. 9-4:45; Nov.-March Wed.-Sun. 9-4; closed Martin Luther King, Jr., Presidents, Veterans, General Election.
- Website: www.granthome.com
- Location: Galena, Illinois
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've done a very brief summary of my time in Washingto Read more
Romantic and fun 40th birthday trip to Chicago with my husband! Read more
My wife and I need a relaxing, affordable 40th Anniversary trip. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more