Ulysses S. Grant Home
Ulysses S. Grant Home Review
Honoring his service in the Civil War, a group of Galena Republicans presented this 1860 Italianate bracketed home to Ulysses S. Grant in 1865. He lived here with his family until in 1868, taking his seat in the White House as the 18th President. Much of the furnishings are original to the home, which is now a National Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Address: 500 Bouthillier St., Galena, 61036
- Phone: 815/777-3310
- Cost: Suggested donation $4; children $2
- Hours: April-Oct. 9-4:45; Nov.-March Wed.-Sun. 9-4; closed Martin Luther King, Jr., Presidents, Veterans, General Election.
- Website: www.granthome.com
- Location: Galena, Illinois
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 65% Off The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% — $127 The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40% — $199 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
Thanks to all that provided suggestions for our weekend trip to Chicago!
DH and I went to Chicago because DS' high school band was performing at the Windy City Band Festival at Dominican University and Read more
Hi. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more