For anyone who was watching TV in the 1970s, Milwaukee will forever be associated with Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley, the BFFs who, fittingly, worked in a brewery. Indeed, beer still constitutes an important part of the city's fabric, but it has also morphed into a multi-faceted destination with world-class art and award-winning restaurants. Like Chicago, Milwaukee prides itself on its distinctive neighborhoods, the Historic Third Ward being one of the trendiest with its renovated buildings used now as galleries, cafes, and boutiques. And when you're hankering for that Happy Days blast from the past, be sure to head to the Milwaukee Riverwalk for a photo-op with the Bronze Fonz sculpture.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Chicago
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's