Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
From Gilded Age reminders and glacier-made beauty to spa-going and stargazing, Lake Geneva feels a world away from it's nearest big-city neighbor, Chicago. In the early 20th century, the area was dubbed "Newport of the West" for its wildly extravagant summer mansions—many of which you can spy walking on the public access Shore Path or boating across the lake—built by wealthy Chicagoans the likes of Wrigley, Schwinn, and Maytag. These days, the Lake Geneva area, which includes adjacent Fontana and Williams Bay, welcomes visitors for rest and relaxation year-round.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Chicago
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's