Side Trips from Chicago Travel Guide
Those who haven't spent much time in Chicago think that the city is surrounded by corn fields that stretch from horizon to sunset. But we know better—this is no fly-over country. In fact, there are phenomenal weekend destinations for any interest, all located within a few hours drive of the Windy City. From destination spas and lakeside golf resorts to world-class art museums and award-winning wineries, this part of the Midwest delivers on all fronts. But, lest these places become overrun, let's keep the secret going. So if anyone asks, you didn't hear about the charming town of Galena, Illinois, or the adorable beach community of Saugatuck, Michigan, from us.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Side Trips from Chicago restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Side Trips from Chicago
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
Overlooking the Place de la Concorde, Paris's storied Hôtel de Crillon has joined the Rosewood Hotels... Read more
A new small ship company, Pearl Seas Cruises, has announced its 2015 Caribbean season, with itineraries... Read more
Add JetBlue to the list of airlines offering in-flight internet connectivity.... Read more
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've done a very brief summary of my time in Washingto Read more
Romantic and fun 40th birthday trip to Chicago with my husband! Read more
Is an hour & 40 minutes cutting it to close to do all we will need to do? Read more