- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Chicago 2014
Lincoln Park Zoo
Lincoln Park Zoo Review
At this urban enclave near Lake Michigan, you can face off with lions (separated by a window, of course) outside the Kovler Lion House; watch about two dozen gorillas and chimpanzees go ape in the sprawling Regenstein Center for African Apes, with three separate habitats featuring bamboo stands, 5,000 feet of swinging vines, and termite mounds for chimpanzee snacking; or watch some rare and endangered bear species, such as the spectacle bear (named for the eyeglasslike markings around its eyes).
Animals both slithery (pythons) and strange (sloths) reside in the glass-dome Regenstein Small Mammal and Reptile House, and the big guys (hippos, giraffes, and black rhinos) are in the Regenstein Animal Journey. Bird lovers should make a beeline to the McCormick Bird House, containing extremely rare birds, including the Bali mynah, Guam rail, and Micronesian kingfisher, some of which are extinct in the wild. The children's zoo, Farm-in-the-Zoo (farm animals and a learning center with films and demonstrations), and LPZoo Children's Train Ride appeal to youngsters. Be sure to leave time for a ride (or two) on the Endangered Species Carousel, featuring a menagerie of 48 rare and endangered animals.
- Address: 2001 N. Clark St., Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL 60614 | Map It
- Phone: 312/742–2000
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Animal houses: Apr.–late May and early Sept.–Oct., daily 10–5; late May–early Sept., weekdays 10–5, weekends 10–6:30; Nov.–Mar., daily 10–4:30; gates open at 7
- Website: www.lpzoo.org
- Location: Lincoln Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters
When: Two days in February 2014
Why: After being housebound by what seemed to be a never-ending winter (enough already!), it was time to bundle Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American winter. Read more
We've never been to Chicago other than changing planes.
We'd like to go for a few days but that's a lot of flying to spend 3-4 days in one place.
Any add-ons in the area?
Thanks. Read more
· News & Features
With more and more bars opening up around the city, Chicago is proving it knows its way around a cocktail ... Read more
The Windy City is home to a slew of new restaurants, boutique hotels, and museum exhibits worth checking... Read more
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy... Read more