Fodor's Chicago 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guides for FREE!
St. Valentine's Day Massacre site
St. Valentine's Day Massacre site Review
On Clark Street near Dickens, there's a rather inconspicuous landscaped nursing home parking lot where the SMC Cartage Company once stood. There's no marker, but it's the site of the infamous St. Valentine's Day Massacre, when seven men were killed on the orders of Al Capone on February 14, 1929. The massacre targeted Capone's main rival in the illegal liquor trade, Bugs Moran. Though Moran wasn't in the warehouse that day, he was finished as a bootlegger. The event shocked the city and came to epitomize the violence of the Prohibition era.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters When: Two days in February 2014 Why: After be... Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American wint... Read more