From 1899 to 2007 this was the flagship location for the department store Carson Pirie Scott. The work of one of Chicago's most renowned architects, it combines Louis H. Sullivan's visionary expression of modern design with intricate cast-iron ornamentation. The eye-catching rotunda and the 11 stories above it are actually an addition Sullivan made to his original building. In later years D.H. Burnham & Co. and Holabird & Root extended Sullivan's smooth, horizontal
scheme farther down State Street. In 2012, the Sullivan Center became a shopping mall, with tenants that include Target and DSW.