Samuel Insull, partner of Thomas Edison and founder of Commonwealth Edison, built a mansion in 1916 as a country home. After Insull lost his fortune, John Cuneo, Sr., the printing-press magnate, bought the estate and fashioned it into something far more spectacular. The skylighted great hall in the main house resembles the open central courtyard of an Italian palazzo, the private family chapel has stained-glass windows, and a gilded grand piano graces the ballroom. The
house is filled with antiques, porcelains, 17th-century Flemish tapestries, and Italian paintings.