- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Chicago 2014
Historic Water Tower
Historic Water Tower Review
This famous Michigan Avenue structure, completed in 1867, was originally built to house a 137-foot standpipe that equalized the pressure of the water pumped by the similar pumping station across the street. Oscar Wilde uncharitably called it "a castellated monstrosity" studded with pepper shakers. One of the few buildings that survived the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, it remains a Chicago landmark and a symbol of the city's spirit. The small gallery inside has rotating art exhibitions of local interest.
Water Works Pumping Station. Water is still pumped to some city residents at a rate of about 250 million gallons per day from this Gothic-style structure, which, along with the Water Tower across the street, survived the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The Lookingglass Theatre calls this place home, as does one of the city's visitor centers. 163 E. Pearson St., at Michigan Ave., 60611.
- Address: 806 N. Michigan Ave., at Pearson St. Near North, Chicago, IL 60611 | Map It
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Daily 10–6:30
- Website: www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/attractions/dca_tourism/water_tower.html
- Location: Near North
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've done a very brief summary of my time in Washingto Read more
Romantic and fun 40th birthday trip to Chicago with my husband! Read more
Thanks to American changing an awards ticket itinerary and giving us a 6:00am starting flight, now have an 8 hour layover at O'Hare prior to transatlantic connection.
Using a mindset that bags will be Read more
· News & Features
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy ... Read more
Tucked into the tony Gold Coast neighborhood, the 247-room Thompson Chicago opened its doors in early... Read more
Winters can be brutal in the Windy City.... Read more