- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Chicago 2014
Carbide and Carbon Building (Hard Rock Hotel)
Carbide and Carbon Building (Hard Rock Hotel) Review
Designed in 1929 by Daniel and Hubert Burnham, sons of the renowned architect Daniel Burnham, this is arguably the jazziest skyscraper in town. A deep-green terra-cotta tower rising from a black-granite base, its upper reaches are embellished with gold leaf. The original public spaces are a luxurious composition in marble and bronze. The story goes that the brothers Burnham got their inspiration from a gold-foiled bottle of champagne. So perhaps it's fitting that the building now houses the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, party central for those who wouldn't be caught dead at the Four Seasons.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've done a very brief summary of my time in Washingto Read more
Romantic and fun 40th birthday trip to Chicago with my husband! Read more
Thanks to American changing an awards ticket itinerary and giving us a 6:00am starting flight, now have an 8 hour layover at O'Hare prior to transatlantic connection.
Using a mindset that bags will be Read more
· News & Features
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy ... Read more
Tucked into the tony Gold Coast neighborhood, the 247-room Thompson Chicago opened its doors in early... Read more
Winters can be brutal in the Windy City.... Read more