A design by John E. Tourtellotte and the classic German engineering of Charles Hummel have made the “Capitol of Light” an architectural intrigue, and a 12-year restoration project has spruced up the natural skylights, acres of carved white marble, colored Italian scagliola from the original building, and the bronze eagle perched atop the 208-foot dome. Inside, historic art includes a statue of Nike of Samothrace—a gift from France after World War II—and a golden
statue of George Washington. Trees line the property, including a sugar maple planted by President Teddy Roosevelt in 1903. Pick up a self-guided tour brochure from the visitors' welcome desk on the garden level.