There's a 4.16% statewide sales tax on all purchases, including food (it's actually half a percent higher on Oahu to pay for a proposed rail project). An additional hotel room tax, combined with the sales tax, equals a 13.42% rate added onto your hotel bill on most Islands, and a 13.96% rate on Oahu. A $3-per-day road tax is also assessed on each rental vehicle.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's