- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you're flying in from the mainland United States or one of the Neighbor Islands, you must first make a stop in Honolulu. From there, it's a 25-minute trip to Molokai. Molokai's transportation hub is Hoolehua Airport, a tiny airstrip 8 miles west of Kaunakakai and about 18 miles east of Maunaloa. An even smaller airstrip serves the little community of Kalaupapa on the north shore.
From Hoolehua Airport, it takes about 10 minutes to reach Kaunakakai and 25 minutes to reach the west end of the island by car. There's no public bus. A taxi will cost about $27 from the airport to Kaunakakai with Hele Mai Taxi. Shuttle service costs about $28 per person from Hoolehua Airport to Kaunakakai. For shuttle service, call Molokai Outdoors. Keep in mind, however, that it's difficult to visit the island without a rental car.
Hele Mai Taxi (HI. 808/336–0967 or 808/646–9060. www.molokaitaxi.com.)
Molokai Outdoors (HI. 808/553–4477 or 877/553–4477. www.molokai-outdoors.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's