Whale-Watching in Molokai
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Although Maui gets all the credit for the local wintering humpback-whale population, the big cetaceans also come to Molokai from December to April. Mokuhooniki Island at the east end serves as a whale nursery and courting ground, and the whales pass back and forth along the south shore. This being Molokai, whale-watching here will never involve floating amid a group of boats all ogling the same whale.
Boats and Charters
Alyce C.. Although this six-passenger sportfishing boat is usually busy hooking mahimahi and marlin, the captain will gladly take you on a three-hour excursion to admire the humpback whales. The price, around $75 per person, is based on the number of people in your group. Kaunakakai Wharf, Kaunakakai Pl., Kaunakakai, HI, 96748. 808/558-8377. www.alycecsportfishing.com.
Ama Lua. The crew of this 32-foot dive boat, which holds up to 18 passengers, is respectful of the whales and the laws that protect them. A 2-hour whale-watching trip is $79 per person; it departs from Kaunakakai Wharf at 7 am from December to April. Call Molokai Fish and Dive for reservations. 61 Ala Malama St., Kaunakakai, HI, 96748. 808/553-5926 or 808/552-0184. molokaifishanddive.com.
Fun Hogs Sportfishing. The Ahi, a flybridge sportfishing boat, takes you on 2½-hour whale-watching trips in the morning from December to April. The cost is $70 per person. Bring your own snacks and drinks. Kaunakakai Wharf, Kaunakakai Pl., Kaunakakai, HI, 96748. 808/567-6789 or 808/336-0047. www.molokaifishing.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- 7-Nt. Hawaii Cruise on Norwegian, R/T Honolulu American Express Travel