Nightlife & the Arts in Maui
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Looking for wild island nightlife? We can't promise you'll always find it here—and sometimes you'll just have to be the party. This island has little of Waikiki's after-hours decadence, and the club scene can be quirky, depending on the season and the day of the week. But Maui will surprise you with a big-name concert, world-class DJ, outdoor festival, or special event.
Lahaina and Kihei are your best bets for action. Lahaina tries to uphold its reputation as a party town, and succeeds every Halloween when thousands of masqueraders converge for a Mardi Gras-style party on Front Street. Good music isn't too hard to find on this side of the island. In addition to its local acts, Lahaina regularly attracts international DJs for an intimate set. Kihei seems to have more venues for live bands but can have something of a rough-and-rowdy crowd in parts. On the right night, both towns stir with activity, and if you don't like one scene, there's always next door.
Outside Lahaina and Kihei, you might be able to hit an "on" night in Paia (North Shore) or Makawao (Upcountry), especially on weekend nights. But, generally, these towns are on the mellow side. Your best option? Pick up the free Maui Time Weekly, or Thursday's edition of the Maui News, where you can find a listing of all your after-dark options, island-wide.
Browse Maui Nightlife
Browse Maui Nightlife By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $269 -- Maui 4-Star Beachfront Resort & Spa, Reg. $489 BookIt.com
- $199 -- Hawaii: Waikiki 4-Star Resort in Summer, Save 50% Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
- $785 & up -- 3-Nt. Kauai Getaways incl. Air, Upgraded Car Pleasant Holidays
- $1499 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Night Hawaii Cruise, R/T Honolulu Norwegian Cruise Line
- $13.29 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com