Named for the whales that once washed ashore here, Halepalaoa, or the "House of Whale Ivory," was the site of the wharf used by the short-lived Maunalei Sugar Company in 1899. Some say the sugar company failed because the sacred stones of nearby Kahea Heiau were used for the construction of the cane railroad. The brackish well water turned too salty, forcing the sugar company to close in 1901, after just two years. The remains of the heiau (temple), once an important place of worship for the people of Lanai, are now difficult to find through the kiawe (mesquite) overgrowth. There's good public-beach access here and clear shallow water for swimming, but no other facilities. Take Highway 440 (Keomuku Highway) to its eastern terminus; then turn right on the dirt road and continue south for 5½ miles.
On dirt road off Hwy. 440, Lanai City, Hawaii, 96763, United States