Snorkeling in Lana‘i
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Snorkeling is the easiest ocean sport available on the island, requiring nothing but a snorkel, mask, fins, and good sense. Borrow equipment from your hotel or purchase some in Lanai City if you didn't bring your own. Wait to enter the water until you are sure no big sets of waves are coming; and observe the activity of locals on the beach. If little kids are playing in the shore break, it's usually safe to enter. To get into the water safely, always swim in past the breakers, and in the comparative calm put on your fins, then mask and snorkel.
Equipment, Lessons, and Tours
Trilogy Ocean Sports Lanai. A 3½-hour snorkeling trip aboard a spacious catamaran explores Lanai's pristine coastline with this company's experienced captain and crew. The trip includes lessons, equipment, and lunch served on board. Tours are offered Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday for $181 per person. Manele Small Boat Harbor, Manele Rd., Manele, Lanai City, HI, 96763. 808/874–5649. www.scubalanai.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's