- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
National Tropical Botanical Gardens (NTBG)
National Tropical Botanical Gardens (NTBG) Review
Tucked away in Lawai Valley, these gardens include lands and a cottage once used by Hawaii's Queen Emma for a summer retreat. Visitors can take a self-guided tour of the rambling 252-acre McBryde Gardens to see and learn about plants collected throughout the tropics. It is known as a garden of "research and conservation." The 100-acre Allerton Gardens, which can be visited only on a guided tour, artfully display statues and water features that were originally developed as part of a private estate. Reservations are reqested for tours of Allerton Gardens, but not for the self-guided tours of McBryde Gardens. The visitor center has a high-quality gift shop with botany-theme merchandise.
Besides harboring and propagating rare and endangered plants from Hawaii and elsewhere, NTBG functions as a scientific research and education center. The organization also operates gardens in Limahuli, on Kauai's North Shore, and in Hana, on Maui's east shore, as well as one in Florida.
- Address: 3530 Lawai Rd., Poipu, HI 96756 | Map It
- Phone: 808/742–2623
- Cost: McBryde self-guided tour $15, Allerton guided tour $35, Discover tour $45.
- Hours: Allerton Gardens tours (by reservation) daily at 9, 10, 1, 2 and 3. Sunset Tour Tues., Thurs., Sat. ($70)
- Website: www.ntbg.org
- Location: South Shore Kauai
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film “Lava Luau” can be seen on the web if you have a high speed internet connection. Read more
I'm back, the laundry is done, and it's time to start my trip report.
I just finished putting together a photo album - hopefully the link will work. It's the quick version of the report: https://picasaweb.google.com/107255467248504604599/HawaiiTrip2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyj4easp5qOqwE Read more
It was a year ago that I started the last Hawaii countdown. Read more
· News & Features
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. ... Read more
So you think you know Kauai?... Read more
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé.... Read more