- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kamokila Hawaiian Village
Kamokila Hawaiian Village Review
The village is dramatically ensconced at the base of a steep, long, winding road right down to the Wailua River. In the days of King Kaumualii, it made the perfect hideout to tuck away his war canoes in this crook of the river. Today, there's a replica Hawaiian village in place of war canoes—numerous thatched-roof structures and abundant plant life along with traditional Hawaiian games. Yet, the lack of human activity here makes it seem abandoned, which may be why Hollywood found it an appealing location for the movie Outbreak. Visitors can rent canoes for the day and paddle up to the Fern Grotto or Secret Falls.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film “Lava Luau” can be seen on the web if you have a high speed internet connection. Read more
I'm back, the laundry is done, and it's time to start my trip report.
I just finished putting together a photo album - hopefully the link will work. It's the quick version of the report: https://picasaweb.google.com/107255467248504604599/HawaiiTrip2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyj4easp5qOqwE Read more
It was a year ago that I started the last Hawaii countdown. Read more
· News & Features
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. ... Read more
So you think you know Kauai?... Read more
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé.... Read more