- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lawai Kai Review
One of the most spectacular beaches on the South Shore is inaccessible by land unless you tour the National Tropical Botanical Garden's Allerton Garden, which we highly recommend. On the tour, you'll see the beach, but you won't visit it. One way to legally access the beach on your own is by paddling a kayak 1 mi from Kukuiula Harbor. However, you have to rent the kayaks elsewhere and haul them on top of your car to the harbor. Also, the wind and waves usually run westward, making the in-trip a breeze but the return trip a workout against Mother Nature. Another way is to boulder-hop along the coast from Spouting Horn—a long trek over sharp lava rock that we do not recommend. Do not attempt this beach in any manner during a south swell. Amenities: none. Best For: solitude; sunrise.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We are half way through our annual winter trip to the island of Hawaii. Read more
JANUARY 2014 ANNIVERSARY TRIP TO THE BIG ISLAND:
HOOKED ON HILO; KOHALA COAST IS COSTLY!
Recommended: 5/5 stars:
Shipman House Bed & Breakfast Inn
on “Reed's Island” i Read more
WHen travelling I'm usually a self-planner, using the great advice from this site and guide books to plan out my travels. Read more
· News & Features
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. ... Read more
So you think you know Kauai?... Read more
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé.... Read more