- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fern Grotto Review
The Fern Grotto has a long history on Kauai. For some reason, visitors seem to like it. Perhaps it's the serenity of just cruising up and down the river accompanied by Hawaiian music. The grotto itself is nothing more than a yawning lava tube swathed in lush fishtail ferns 3 mi up the Wailua River. Though it was significantly damaged after Hurricane Iniki in 1992 and again after heavy rains in 2006, the greenery has completely recovered. Smith's Motor Boat Services is the only way to legally see the grotto. You can access the entrance with a kayak, but if boats are there, you may not be allowed to land.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film “Lava Luau” can be seen on the web if you have a high speed internet connection. Read more
I'm back, the laundry is done, and it's time to start my trip report.
I just finished putting together a photo album - hopefully the link will work. It's the quick version of the report: https://picasaweb.google.com/107255467248504604599/HawaiiTrip2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyj4easp5qOqwE Read more
It was a year ago that I started the last Hawaii countdown. Read more
· News & Features
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. ... Read more
So you think you know Kauai?... Read more
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé.... Read more