- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hanalei Valley Overlook
Hanalei Valley Overlook Review
Dramatic mountains and a patchwork of neat taro farms bisected by the wide Hanalei River make this one of Hawaii's loveliest sights. The fertile Hanalei Valley has been planted in taro since perhaps AD 700, save for a century-long foray into rice that ended in 1960. (The historic Haraguchi Rice Mill is all that remains of the era.) Many taro farmers lease land within the 900-acre Hanalei National Wildlife Refuge, helping to provide wetland habitat for four species of endangered Hawaiian water birds.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film “Lava Luau” can be seen on the web if you have a high speed internet connection. Read more
I'm back, the laundry is done, and it's time to start my trip report.
I just finished putting together a photo album - hopefully the link will work. It's the quick version of the report: https://picasaweb.google.com/107255467248504604599/HawaiiTrip2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyj4easp5qOqwE Read more
It was a year ago that I started the last Hawaii countdown. Read more
· News & Features
Humpback whales are Hawaii's other visitors that show up every year. ... Read more
So you think you know Kauai?... Read more
Being bohemian in the big city is so passé.... Read more