Nightlife & the Arts in Kauai
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kauai has never been known for its nightlife. It's a rural island, where folks tend to retire early, and the streets are dark and deserted well before midnight. The island does have its nightspots, though, and the after-dark entertainment scene may not be expanding, but it is consistently present in areas frequented by tourists.
Most of the island's dinner and luau shows are held at hotels and resorts. Hotel lounges are a good source of live music, often with no cover charge, as are a few bars and restaurants around the island.
Check the local newspaper, the Garden Island, as well as its own Kauai Times entertainment guide, for listings of weekly happenings, or tune in to community radio station KKCR—found at 90.9, 91.9, or 92.7 on the FM dial, depending on where on the island you are at that moment—at 5:30 pm for the arts and entertainment calendar. Free publications such as Kauai Gold, This Week on Kauai, and Essential Kauai also list entertainment events. You can pick them up at Lihue Airport near the baggage claim area, as well as at numerous retail areas on the island.
Browse Kauai Nightlife
Browse Kauai Nightlife By Location
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe