- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Hawaii 2014
USS Arizona Memorial
USS Arizona Memorial Review
Lined up tight in a row of seven battleships off Ford Island, the USS Arizona took a direct hit on December 7, 1941, exploded, and rests still on the shallow bottom where she settled. A visit to what is now known as the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument, begins prosaically—a line, a wait filled with shopping, visiting the museum, and strolling the grounds (though you can reserve timed tickets online at recreation.gov and skip the wait). When your tour starts, you watch a short documentary film, then board the ferry to the memorial. The swooping, stark-white memorial, which straddles the wreck of the USS Arizona, was designed by Honolulu architect Alfred Preis to represent both the depths of the low-spirited, early days of the war, and the uplift of victory. A somber, contemplative mood descends upon visitors during the ferry ride; this is a place where 1,777 people died. Gaze at the names of the dead carved into the wall of white marble. Look at oil on the water's surface, still slowly escaping from the sunken ship. Scatter flowers (but no lei—the string is bad for the fish). Salute the flag. Remember Pearl Harbor.
- Address: World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, HI 96818 | Map It
- Phone: 808/422–3300
- Cost: Free, $1.50 online fee for reserved time slot. Add $7.50 for museum audio tours. Arrive early for limited same-day tickets.
- Hours: Daily 7–5, tours 8–3
- Website: www.nps.gov/valr
- Location: Pearl Harbor
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We are half way through our annual winter trip to the island of Hawaii. Read more
JANUARY 2014 ANNIVERSARY TRIP TO THE BIG ISLAND:
HOOKED ON HILO; KOHALA COAST IS COSTLY!
Recommended: 5/5 stars:
Shipman House Bed & Breakfast Inn
on “Reed's Island” i Read more
I need to be in Hilo for 2 days but would prefer to stay in the Kona side. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more