Nightlife & the Arts in Honolulu and Oahu
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Honolulu and Oahu Nightlife
Many people arrive in Oahu expecting to find white-sand beaches, swaying palm trees, and the kind of picturesque scenery you'd see in postcards. If they think about nightlife at all, it's sunsets over Waikiki.
But Oahu does have an after-dark scene, ranging from torch-lit luau shows to hip bars to sleek nightclubs. Posh bars are found in many of the larger hotels, and smaller neighborhoods hide comfortable local watering holes. Every night of the week you can find musicians in venues from Kailua to Ko Olina—and everywhere in between. Or you can simply walk down Kalakaua Avenue to be entertained by Waikiki's street performers.
And if all-night dancing isn't for you, Oahu boasts a thriving arts and culture scene, with community-theater productions, stand-up comedy, outdoor concerts, film festivals, and chamber-music performances. Major Broadway shows, dance companies, rock stars, and comedians come through the Islands, too. Check local newspapers—the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, Midweek, Honolulu Weekly—for the latest events. Websites like www.nonstophonolulu.com and www.honolulupulse.com also have great information.
Whether you stay out all night or get up early to catch the morning surf, there's something for everyone on Oahu.
Browse Honolulu and Oahu Nightlife
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's