Ultimate Hawaiian Indulgences
Many indulgences in Hawaii don't require reservations, appointments, or making a serious dent in your credit card. They can be as simple as lingering a bit longer in a botanical garden, smelling the plumeria or ginger flowers, or stealing a bit of time away for yourself and a book under an umbrella at one of countless secluded beaches. However, because of Hawaii's world-class spas, chefs, and scenery, extravagant indulgences for the hedonist or gastronome abound.
SpaHalekulani at the Halekulani Hotel in Waikiki offers a truly indulgent experience for two. Its Romance Remembered package is a six-hour experience which features massage, steam shower, a champagne lunch in a terrace setting, and concludes with a manicure and pedicure in the salon. For individuals, the four-hour Heavenly Journey offers a scrub and wrap, a soak in a deep Japanese soaking tub, a light lunch on their terrace, and a facial.
Looking for a gastronomic experience? La Mer in Waikiki offers a gourmet menu degustation including cherrywood-smoked foie gras and sweet potato gnocchi with duck jus.
The traditional lomilomi massage at the Spa at the Four Seasons Resort Wailea is given in their hale (a small replica of an ancient Hawaiian home) overlooking Wailea Bay. The pair of therapists works in unison as they chant and dance while providing a restorative treatment that seeks to unite both mind and body.
Or, have your own personal chef prepare the decadent chocolate and berries dessert to cap off your meal in the private Il Teatro dining room at Capische at the Hotel Wailea.
For those with a bit less time and money, the decadent mango margarita at Polli's Mexican Restaurant in Makawao is a frozen tropical twist on a traditional favorite. Stop in on your way to or from your trip to Haleakala.
Mauna Lani Spa has a unique Lava Watsu treatment that features pressure point techniques and stretching, but the treatment itself is only the beginning. Built inside a natural lava tube, this saltwater Watsu pool is heated to body temperature. Clients float weightlessly throughout a treatment experience that is enhanced by a waterfall and underwater music.
Kauai's natural wonders are a perfect opportunity to indulge in a helicopter ride. Jack Harter Helicopters offers an aerial tour of dramatic waterfalls and the spectacular Napali coastline—to avoid reflections in your photos, opt for a doors-off trip.
For those who prefer a more soothing experience; relax in your own private cabana in a tropical garden setting of orchids, ti, and other tropical greenery, as you experience the Kauai Clay detoxifying facial treatment at ANARA Spa. This treatment features a kava root scrub and mask made from local clays of Kauai.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $269 -- Maui 4-Star Beachfront Resort & Spa, Reg. $489 BookIt.com
- $199 -- Hawaii: Waikiki 4-Star Resort in Summer, Save 50% Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa
- $785 & up -- 3-Nt. Kauai Getaways incl. Air, Upgraded Car Pleasant Holidays
- $1499 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Night Hawaii Cruise, R/T Honolulu Norwegian Cruise Line
- $13.29 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com