- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Travelers can take advantage of the Hawai‘i County Mass Transit Agency's free Hele-On Bus, which travels several routes throughout the island. A one-way journey between Hilo and Kona will take about four hours. There's regular service in and around downtown Hilo, Kailua-Kona, Waimea, North and South Kohala, Honoka‘a, and Pahoa. There is a charge of $1 per piece for bicycles, luggage, and large backpacks that can't fit under a seat. Visitors staying in Hilo can take advantage of the Transit Agency's Shared Ride Taxi program, which provides door-to-door transportation in the area. A one-way fare is $2 and a book of 15 coupons can be purchased for $30.
Hele-On Bus (HI. 808/961–8744. www.heleonbus.org.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's