(c) Cecoffman | Dreamstime.com
This 420-acre National Historical Park houses the best preserved puuhonua (place of refuge) in the state. Providing a safe haven for noncombatants, kapu (taboo) breakers, defeated warriors, and others, the puuhonua offered protection and redemption for anyone who could reach its boundaries, by land or sea. The oceanfront, 960-foot stone wall still stands and is one of the park's most prominent features. A number of ceremonial temples, including the restored Hale o Keawe Heiau ( circa 1700) have served as royal burial chambers. An aura of ancient sacredness and serenity still embues the place.