Located on the easternmost tip of the Big Island, this working lighthouse was miraculously undamaged during the 1960 volcanic eruption here that destroyed the town of Kapoho. Lava flowed directly up to the base of the lighthouse, but rather than pushing it over, actually flowed around it—an impressive sight now that the lava flows have hardened. The building itself, built in 1924, is a simple, metal-frame structure with a light on top, similar to a tall, electric-line transmission tower. To reach the lighthouse, keep going straight for 1½ miles when Highway 132 meets Highway 137 and turns into an unpaved road.
Past intersection of Hwys. 132 and 137, Kapoho, Hawaii, 96778, United States