Shopping in Big Island
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Big Island Shopping
Residents like to complain that there isn't a lot of great shopping on the Big Island, but unless you're searching for winter coats or high-tech toys, you can find plenty to deplete your pocketbook.
Dozens of shops in Kailua-Kona offer a range of souvenirs from far-flung corners of the globe and plenty of local coffee and foodstuffs to take home to everyone you left behind. Housewares and artworks made from local materials (lava rock, minerals, koa, and milo wood) fill the shelves of small boutiques and galleries throughout the island. Upscale shops in the resorts along the Kohala Coast carry high-quality clothing and accessories, as do a few boutiques scattered around the island. Galleries and gift shops, many showcasing the work of local artists, fill historic buildings in Waimea and North Kohala, and many of the island's former sugar plantation towns have been turned into charming art communities, with local artists selling their wares directly from their studios. Hotel shops generally offer the most attractive and original resort wear but, as with everything else at resorts, the prices run higher than elsewhere on the island.
High prices are entirely too common at the island's resort spas, but a handful of truly unique experiences are worth every penny. Beyond the resorts, the Big Island is also home to independent massage therapists and day spas that offer similar treatments for lower prices, albeit usually in a slightly less luxurious atmosphere. In addition to the obvious relaxation benefits of any spa trip, the Big Island's spas have done a fantastic job incorporating local traditions and ingredients into their menus. Massage artists work with coconut or kokui (candlenut) oil, hot stone massages are conducted with lava stones, and ancient healing techniques such as lomilomi—a massage technique that combines firm, constant movement and traditional chants—are a staple at every island spa.
Browse Big Island Shopping
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $118 & up -- Oahu: Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $129-$155 -- Oahu Hotel near Waikiki Beach w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $13.53 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com
- $349-$389 -- Maui 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 45% — $349-$389 BookIt.com