- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Big Island of Hawaii
Kona Commons Review
This downtown center features big-box retailers, such as Sports Authority (for snorkel and swim gear), and Ross Dress for Less (for suitcases, shoes, swimsuits, and aloha wear). Food and drink options include fast-food standbys like Dairy Queen, Subway, Taco Del Mar, and Panda Express; Ultimate Burger, for local beef and delicious homemade fries; Genki Sushi, where the goods are delivered via conveyer belt; and Kona Wine Market, which has a great selection of wines and spirits along with gourmet gift items. Target has fresh-flower leis for a fraction of the cost that local florists charge.
- Address: 75-5450 Makala Blvd., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
- Location: Kailua-Kona
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We are half way through our annual winter trip to the island of Hawaii. Read more
JANUARY 2014 ANNIVERSARY TRIP TO THE BIG ISLAND:
HOOKED ON HILO; KOHALA COAST IS COSTLY!
Recommended: 5/5 stars:
Shipman House Bed & Breakfast Inn
on “Reed's Island” i Read more
I need to be in Hilo for 2 days but would prefer to stay in the Kona side. Read more