- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Big Island of Hawaii
Mokupapapa Discovery Center
Mokupapapa Discovery Center Review
This informative center teaches about the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, which encompasses about 140,000 square miles in the waters northwest of the main Hawaiian Islands and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Giant graphics, murals, and 3-D maps depict the monument's extensive coral reefs and the more than 7,000 marine species that live there, one in four of which are found only in the Hawaiian archipelago. Knowledgeable staff or volunteers are on hand to answer questions. Interactive programs, a new aquarium, and short films give insight into marine life and environmental impact. It's worth a stop just to get an up-close look at the center's huge stuffed albatross, with wings outstretched.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film “Lava Luau” can be seen on the web if you have a high speed internet connection. Read more
I'm back, the laundry is done, and it's time to start my trip report.
I just finished putting together a photo album - hopefully the link will work. It's the quick version of the report: https://picasaweb.google.com/107255467248504604599/HawaiiTrip2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyj4easp5qOqwE Read more
· News & Features
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more