- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Big Island of Hawaii
MacKenzie State Recreation Area
MacKenzie State Recreation Area Review
This coastal park, on rocky shoreline cliffs in a breezy, cool ironwood grove, has a pavilion, picnic tables, restrooms, and a tent-camping area, but no drinking water. The park is significant for the restored section of the old King's Highway trail system, which circled the coast in the era before Hawaii was discovered by the Western world. In those days, regional chiefs used the trails to connect get between coastal villages, collect taxes, and maintain control over people. Views take in the rugged coast, rocky beach, and coastal dry forest.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film “Lava Luau” can be seen on the web if you have a high speed internet connection. Read more
I'm back, the laundry is done, and it's time to start my trip report.
I just finished putting together a photo album - hopefully the link will work. It's the quick version of the report: https://picasaweb.google.com/107255467248504604599/HawaiiTrip2014?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyj4easp5qOqwE Read more
We are traveling to Maui for 2 weeks in Apr-May. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more