- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Waipio Valley Review
Bounded by 2,000-foot cliffs, the "Valley of the Kings" was once a favorite retreat of Hawaiian royalty. Waterfalls drop 1,200 feet from the Kohala Mountains to the valley floor, and the sheer cliff faces make access difficult. Though completely off the grid today, Waipio was once a center of Hawaiian life; somewhere between 4,000 and 20,000 people made it their home between the 13th and 17th centuries.
To preserve this pristine part of the island, commercial-transportation permits are limited—only five outfitters offer organized valley trips and they're not allowed to take visitors to the beach: environmental laws protect the swath of black sand. And on Sunday the valley rests.
A road leads down from the Waipio Valley Overlook, but only four-wheel-drive vehicles should attempt the very steep, treacherous road. There are no roads on the valley floor, and the going is often muddy. The walk down into the valley is less than a mile from the lookout point—just keep in mind the climb back up is strenuous.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $325 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Reg. $395 Sheraton Waikiki
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $9.99 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com
- $835 & up -- Sheraton Maui 3-Night Trip w/Car Rental — $835 Pleasant Holidays
- $775 & up -- Hawaii 3 Nts. w/Air & Car; All Islands on Sale — $775 Pleasant Holidays
Recently back from a wonderful first trip to Kauai! Read more
First, the disclaimer …
This trip will probably seem boring to most people, but the entire purpose was to R-E-L-A-X. Read more
My son and I are first timers to Hawaii, and are looking for a memorable, non-threatening or pressured golf experience. Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more