- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
About 16 mi east of Na‘alehu, beyond Punalu‘u Beach Park, Highway 11 sidesteps this little town. You'll miss it if you blink. Pahala is a perfect example of a sugar-plantation town. Behind it, along a wide cane road, you enter Wood Valley, once a prosperous community, now just a road heavily scented by eucalyptus trees, coffee blossoms, and night-blooming jasmine.
Wood Valley Temple. In Pahala you'll find Wood Valley Temple, a serene and beautiful Tibetan Buddhist temple dedicated by the Dalai Lama during his 1980 visit. Today, you can visit the temple, meditate, attend a service, browse the gift shop, or book lodging in the temple's guesthouse for a complete Buddhist retreat. 808/928–8539. www.nechung.org.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We arrived on Thanksgiving day about 12:30 pm. Read more
We just got back from our 12-day vacation on Maui to celebrate our 5th anniversary. Read more
My wife and I are planning a week on Kauai first week of April...looking for suggestions on 'affordable' places to stay (eg VRBO, resorts, hotels), not high-end..kid-friendly activities/destinations/beaches...eateries...any Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more