Surfing in Big Island
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Big Island does not have the variety of great surfing spots found on Oahu or Maui, but it does have decent waves and a thriving surf culture. Local kids and avid surfers frequent a number of places up and down the Kona and Kohala Coasts of west Hawaii. Expect high surf in winter and much calmer activity during summer. The surf scene is much more active on the Kona side.
Pine Trees. Among the best places to catch waves is Pine Trees. Keep in mind that this is a very popular local surf spot on an island where there aren't all that many surf spots, so be very respectful. Off Hwy. 11, about 2 miles south of Kona Airport, Kailua-Kona, HI, 96740.
Kahaluu Beach Park. Slightly north of Kahaluu Beach Park, beginning and intermediate surfers brave the rocks to get out to a popular break just past the calm lagoon filled with snorkelers. Alii Dr., Kailua-Kona, HI, 96740.
Old Kona Airport State Recreation Area. The Old Kona Airport State Recreation Area is a good place for catching wave action. A couple of the island's outfitters conduct surf lessons here, as the break is far away from potentially dangerous rocks and reefs. Kuakini Rd., Kailua-Kona, HI, 96740.
Honolii Cove. North of Hilo, Honolii Cove is the best surfing spot on the eastern side of the island. It hosts many exciting surf contests. Off Hwy. 19, near mile marker 4, Hilo, HI, 96720.
Equipment, Lessons and Tours
Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors. This family-owned, lifeguard-certified school helps novices become wave riders and offers tours that take more experienced riders to Kona's top surf spots. There's a 1½-hour introductory lesson ($68 per person), but the 2½-hour lesson ($98 per person for groups of 1-3; $175 for privates) is recommended to get you ready to surf. 75-5909 Alii Dr., Kailua-Kona, HI, 96740. 808/324-0442 or 808/936-7873. www.surflessonshawaii.com.
Ocean Eco Tours Surf School. Kona's oldest surf school emphasizes the basics and specializes in beginners. All lessons are taught by certified instructors, and the school guarantees that you will surf. Lessons start at $95 per person. If you're hooked, sign up for a three-day package for $270. Honokohau Harbor, 74-425 Kealakehe Pkwy., Kailua-Kona, HI, 96740. 808/324-7873. www.oceanecotours.com.
Orchid Land Surf Shop. The shop has a wide variety of water sports and surf equipment for sale or rent. It stocks custom surfboards, body boards, and surf apparel. The staff also handles repairs. 262 Kamehameha Ave., Hilo, HI, 96720. 808/935-1533. www.orchidlandsurf.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $118 & up -- Oahu: Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $129-$155 -- Oahu Hotel near Waikiki Beach w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $13.53 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com
- $349-$389 -- Maui 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 45% — $349-$389 BookIt.com