- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tiny Sea Island—with a full-time population of less than 400—is one of the nation's wealthiest communities. Established by Howard Coffin, the wealthy Detroit auto pioneer who also owned Sapelo Island in the early 20th century, Sea Island has been a getaway for the well-heeled since 1928, when Coffin opened the elegant Cloister hotel that sits at the heart of this posh island retreat. Today Sea Island is a gated community accessible only to registered guests of the hotel and Sea Island Club members.
Elsewhere in The Coastal Isles and the Okefenokee
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's